[FWDLK] Transmission/rear end service

Hello List Types,
As some of you may know, I am finally getting my 1959 Plymouth on the road after 9 years of re-assembly (my fault entirely)!
The engine and trans is out of a 1961 Chrysler...wrecked about 8 years ago, I think.
The rear end is from the junkyard Idaho car that now sits under the convertible.
My questions are these:
Obviously the fluids need to be changed. Is this something I could tackle, what is involved in a transmission service......and would anybody think I was nuts to try a
the local QuickLube shop?  I am thinking I had better sleuth out the privately-owned reputable shop...
Roger