Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Plymouth for sale . Not mine

Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Plymouth for sale . Not mine

The 318 is a derivative of the first "real" Plymouth V-8 introduced in 56 in
a 277 cube version.  No true Plymouth poly (and we do not include the 55 and
some 56 Plymouths that used Dodge polys) ever had an external water
distribution log; the thermostat housing was part of the intake manifold.
Externally the only real difference between the 277 poly in my 56 Plymouth
and the 65 318 poly I have in my storage building (other than one having a 4
bbl, and the other a two) is that the 56 valve covers have three bolts
instead of two and the 56 head have no provision for an alternator bracket.

Also, the valve covers on the Plymouth poly are scalloped differently than
the Dodge or Chrysler versions.

So - the engine in the 58 "Christine" is not a 318.  Not quite sure, but
from the shape of the water distribution casting, I think it's a Dodge poly.

BTW, an interesting bit of not quite Forward Look trivia:  the alternator
bracket on the 65 318 poly is exactly the same as the one on a 65 Barracuda
273 wedge; there are two pairs of mounting holes in the bracket - one pair
for the 273 (which also fits just fine on the 340 that's in my 65 Barracuda
today) and one pair for the 318 poly.  The 65 273 wedge and 318 poly timing
cover is the same, too.  There's an extra bolt hole about halfway up on the
driver's side that's eliminated on the later small block timing covers.

Curtis
56 Belvedere club sedan (277 poly, factory power pack)
59 Coronet 2 dr hardtop (413)

Plus: 49 Wayfarer sedan (flathead six); 63 Valiant convert (225 slant 6); 64
Polara convert (434 stroker B); 65 Barracuda (340); 67 Barracuda coupe
(360); 67 Hemi Charger; 69 Cuda 383; 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk (factory
installed 352 Packard motor)