Re: [FWDLK] HELP IDENTIFY A PLYMOUTH RADIO

Re: [FWDLK] HELP IDENTIFY A PLYMOUTH RADIO

Ron,

My '70 parts book doesn't show a 2884 101.  But group 1-87-0 is
described as a "Radio Package", and the only AM Radio w/Stereo Tape
thumbwheel type radio listed is:

2884 845 as a 70 Imperial application.

It's interesting though, some of the radios in the group are listed as
"knob type" and some are listed as "thumbwheel type" and some make no
mention of what sort of knobs they have.  The rest of the AM Radio w/
Stereo Tape listings make no mention of knob type.  Here they are:

2884 852 as an '70 "E" body application

2884 636 as a '70 "B" body application

2884 882 as a '70 "C" body Dodge application

2884 593 as a '70 "C" body Chrysler application

It's most definately a 1970 application as all of the '71 radios start
w / 3501 xxx

As far as the number on your radio, I'm guessing the radio itself is
only part of the "Radio Package" as described in the parts book.

I'm no parts book professional though, (I just happen to have one!) so
anybody else with a better theory than mine, please chime in.

I've been in and out of lots of 68-70 "B" bodied Mopars over the years.
 Some of them did indeed have what I called "The Worst of Both Worlds
(AM and 8-track) <grin> but the thumbwheel vs. knob thing has blurred
into the past.  I remember the Superbird I bought from the original
owner (@ 29,000 miles) about fifteen years ago, had an AM 8-track, but I
just can't place whether or not it had thumbwheels or knobs.  I do
remember though getting out my vinyl covered cases of 8-track tapes from
my High School days in the '70s and playing them once again on that
radio!  it was kinda cool.  But then the bad memories of 8-track tapes
came back to life as the player would randomly wrap tape out of the
cartridge around the capstan and jam.  Pretty archane technology
compated to today's in car entertainment systems!

Best Regards to all,

Thomas F. Miller
300C, 440+6 'Cuda
tfm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
pageTFM@xxxxxxxxxxxx / text paging
614.975.4164 / voice
707.667.2601 / eFax

>>> Ron Allyn Swartley <Archangel1390@xxxxxxx> 8/26/2003 9:40:23 AM

Does anyone have a Mopar part book that goes back to 1970? I have and
am
radio with 8 track with part number 2884 101 and a 73773 number on it.
Unit was
made by Philips Mark 2.
 There is one other number by itself on the other side of the unit No
480130
  All the thumb wheels are on the left side and it says Plymouth above
the
radio dial. Email me for a photo of it.
                                                       Ron