exhaust

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:49:58 -0700 From: "C. B. Kidder" <60Saratoga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: Hot Rod Custom 59 Belle

Ric, my coworker just sold his new Chrysler and bought a partially-finished
`35 Chevy as his daily driver (can you believe it?). He drives it to work
every day now and parks it next to my outrageous fins. Anyway, he has some
modern Caddy seats and a pre-airbag Cadillac steering column & wheel in his
cockpit; it looks very comfortable, and I have to say I am envious.

About the suspension tweaks, the road I took was much simpler. I just left
the standard size tires in the front but put as big as will fit in the
rear;
it gives the car a certain confident attitude without looking overly
bravado. If you have a well-working speedo and stock drivetrain, the bigger
the change in wheel diameter the bigger the error in your mph reading. For
me it didn't matter because I put in a new Ford 9" with numerically lower
gears. Larger tires and the lower gears let me go faster per rpm and keep
my
newly calibrated speedo (many thanks to JC Auto) reading right. I dare say
the only thing sexier than a 60 Chrysler with a stance is a 59 Chrysler (or
Plymouth!) with a stance.

As for the A/C, you gotta do it! There is a kit that mounts a new
lightweight Sanden compressor right to our big block Chrysler engines. If
you don't want to mess up your dash (which I don't), you can get a
rear-mounted ac unit. It sits on the shelf in the trunk behind the back
seat, and blows frigidity throughout the cabin. I know it's not what we're
used to in car air conditioning, but it came stock in my 1988 Westfalia VW
and it is awesome.

As for the engine performance, you might consider slipping in a warmer cam,
but with gasoline projected to top out at $4 a gallon in the near future,
you might want to stay conservative.

Brion

_________________________________________________________________ Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com