[FWDLK] Fw: [Chrysler300] Possible Scam

This from Quentin Smith.........
----- Original Message -----
From: <quentsmith@xxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 12:01 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Possible Scam

Dear Listers,

       Last week I received a check in the mail for $89,500.16 for the
purchase of a digital church organ I had for sale at $65,000 on the
internet. The so
called purchaser wanted me to send the difference to them via Western Union
to cover the shipping. The wire address was in London, England.

       This is a scam! I took the check to the bank, had them call the
company that it was issued on and it turns out it was stolen somehow as the
check
was originally made out to Con Edison to pay their light bill! I am sure the
check would have cleared at first only to be found out when the
reconciliation
was done when the cancelled checks came in and then you would  be out the
amount
you sent. Apparently they process the stolen check by removing the original
name and amount and fill yours in.

       BEWARE ANYONE INTERESTED IN YOUR ITEM AND CLAIMS THEY HAVE THEIR OWN
SHIPPER. Most of them are not interested in the item, other than a picture,
and
never ask about the condition or barter on price. I have gotten more than
ten
offers this way, this is the first time a check showed up and I knew already
it was a scam.

       Call the Secret Service, they deal with these scams and will
prosecute
as it is mail fraud to begin with, just for starters.

       I now have a souvenir check on the wall for fun.

                        Quentin Smith, 300C, 300H, 300 Ram K.

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used