[FWDLK] '57 front brakes: what i've found ...

[FWDLK] '57 front brakes: what i've found ...

This afternoon i've removed the two front drums from my '57 Imperial
(remember that i've 2 problems: one is locking left wheel when cold, 2nd
is pulling left when hot, see previous posts).
- Someone send me this post:

Phil, you're having the same problem myself and others at the power company
I work for are having. The brakes on my company truck would grab hard the
first few times I applied the brakes after the truck sat overnight. The
mechanics told me it was moisture getting into the brake linings. Alot of
brake linings are no longer built with asbestos in them so they are made of
a moisture absorbing material. The environmentalists at work. I suggest
trying to find someone who will reline your brake shoes with original
lining and I'll bet the problem goes away.

And i think it's right.

But i've found other interseting thing !!! First, no leaking, no grease
or oil on linings, no fluid in the wheel cylinder boots. All parts are
perfect (don't know for return springs, see pics)
As someone gave me a "comparator" (don't know if it's the correct word
but see pic) i take some measurements on the 4 front drums i've (2 from
my car and 2 from my "donor parts car"). Surprisingly the two drums from
my car (which has been turned 2 years ago because the car pullled to one
side) are badly out-of-round !!
- # 1:  (the original right side which was replaced by one from the
parts car some months ago, see # 3 ) has 0.0060 out-of-round (FSM says:
max 0.0040). Now i know why i replace it !
- # 2 (which is the left side on my car): 0.0027 inside and 0.0047
outside !!!! So the drum is cone shaped ... It's the "locking" side. As
i said these drums were turned by a professional 2 years ago !!!
- # 3: The right on my car (which was one from the parts car and it's
original) has 0.0015 out-of-round
- # 4: The left from the parts car (which was on a shed and also
original): 0.0019 out-of-round.
So i've removed the "conical"  drum and put the 0.0019 which is a little
"grooved" but i think it's better than a cone-shaped drum. Now i've the
0.0015 and the 0.0019.
I've not tested the car, i finished at night. I'll check tomorrow.

Pics of the drums and measurements (on an original knuckle !)  are at
http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/brakes.htm

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad