Re: [FWDLK] DAMMIT, we're in agreement; I hate that!

Re: [FWDLK] DAMMIT, we're in agreement; I hate that!

On the issue of the validity of horsepower ratings in the 50s and 60s, Hot
Rod magazine dyno-tested a  variety of engines in that era.  Here's some
examples of actual stock horsepower they came up with:

56 Ford/Mercury 312, factory rated horsepower 225 -
Actual dyno horsepower: 181

58 Ford/Edsel 361, factory rated horsepower 303
Actual tested dyno horsepower: 211

58 Chevy 348 tri-power, factory rated 280 horsepower
Actual tested dyno horsepower: 221

59 Pontiac 389 4bbl, rated at 330 horsepower
Made 288 on the dyno (with rejetted carb and better advance curve, only made
186 out of the box).

67 Dodge/Plymouth 383 4 bbl, rated 325 horsepower -
Made 278 on the dyno

68 Dodge/Plymouth 340 4 bbl, rated 275 horsepower -
Made 280 on the dyno

66 Chevy hi-po 327 (solid lifter cam), rated 365 horsepower -
Made 302 on the dyno.

Interesting that out of all these motors, the Mopar 340 was the only one
that actually made more horsepower than its factory rating.

And this is a little different because it was on a chassis dyno, but:
66 Coronet Hemi - made 318 horsepower at the rear wheels on Dick Landy's
Clayton chassis dyno, which at the time was the highest stock rear wheel
horsepower reading ever measured on that dyno.  Also more horsepower at the
rear wheels than any of the above made at the flywheel.  But - that figure
doesn't indicate that a stock 426 Hemi made any more than its rated
horsepower at the flywheel.

Curtis
56 Belvedere
59 Coronet