[FWDLK] Horatio's Drive

I confess that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the ChryCo
"Forward Look" automobiles, but it has a lot to do with the birth of
automobility as we enjoy it today.  Please pardon the violation of
relevant-subject-only rule.  8-)

I watched on PBS last night a very engaging documentary about Dr.
Horatio Nelson Jackson's cross-country drive, San Francisco to New York,
during the spring/summer of 1903.  Apparently he (and his
co-driver/mechanic) was the first person to successfully drive an
automobile across the USA.  The car he drove was a 20-hp, 2-cylinder
Winton touring car.  No windshield, no top, many breakdowns, and many
wrong turns.  It is a fascinating story.  I am stunned by this man's
unwavering persistence and optimism, and am delighted by the "spirit" of
his personality as captured in the many letters he sent to his wife
during the trip (how many of us have a wife who, as a somewhat newlywed,
would support us doing something as zany as that (for that time) which
took over 60 days to complete?  LOL...)

I recommend it as a "must see" for all gear-heads.  A copy of the book
and/or video can be obtained from the PBS website.

By the way, does anyone know the "rest of the story" of the Winton Motor
Car Company?  If so, email me privately.

Thanks,
Jason Rogers
'55 Belvedere sedan