[FWDLK] These roofs

Come to think of it, I know where there is a '58 Dodge that has some similar
rot issues.  I'd forgotten all about it...  sits in the back of a car lot
that apparently is more of a tax dodge (no pun intended) than anything,
since I think when I was in there and talked to the guy was 5-8 years ago,
and he has all the exact same cars out front as he did then, and the tree
behind the car is now 5" thick where I don't even remember a tree being at
all before...

This one was out of reach of the dog.  So the kids could get to it, and
trashed it - busted the windows and jumped on it.  Probably 15 or 20 years
ago.  Well, the lot was within site of a chemical plant until it closed in
'86.  The stuff that came out the stacks was extremely corrosive, and it
rotted these from the top down.  There's two more '58's, a Merc and a
Pontiac, and both have bad rust from the top down the same way.  This Dodge,
though, has it both top down and bottom up.

So when the kids jumped on it, the roof skin came off of it entirely.  They
took it with them and the guy never found it.  I can't remember now if it's
a hardtop or a sedan, but it is a 4-door.   The rear bumper's sagged down
and I don't think it would move in one piece anymore - but the front clip
isn't bad and the engine compartment is 100% complete.  Wish I could get it
and part it out, but anyways.

The results, now so long after?  No rotted out roof posts, in fact I doubt
they're structurally compromised at all.  I'll have to go over there and
take a picture of it, I can get a good view from off the property.  They're
probably one of the strongest parts left on the car.  If the roof was all it
needed, it would be simple to weld a new skin into it.

Rustophobes beware, it won't be pretty.

Bill K.