[FWDLK] FURY V800 ENGINE POLICE CARS

John,

In late 1958 a car dealer on Front Street in Harrisburg, bought a dozen 1957 Plymouths.  They were a mixture of 2dr and 4dr savoys.  Each and every one of them had the V800 Fury 2/4 bbl engine and most were stick shift. One of my best friends bought one and it ran like a raped ape. His right hand was black and blue from hitting the dash every time he would speed shift into second gear while running and beating a Ford or Chevy. It was a plain medium blue 2 dr sedan with no radio and black walls with little dog dish hubcaps.
   The dealer said he might be getting more. We asked him where they came from and why the price was so good. He said they were Maryland State Police cars.
      Here is another one for you. In 1957 on the big highways in New Jersey, today it is called the garden state parkway, they had 57 Chrysler 300C hardtops. The Policemen were issued these cars and they were responsible for them being serviced. One of my friend's sister dated an NJ State Policemen and would take the car on weekends telling them that he was getting it serviced. 57-58-59 California used Dodge 500s for highway pursuit. Ford has an engine called the "Bandit Chaser" later renamed the Interceptor.