From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of RMcg917191@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 4:56 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Drum Turning

Hello, folks

Has anyone had the experience I just had?  I took the 11" front drums from
my '56 Savoy to Pep Boys for turning.  I was getting extreme pulsating from
the brake pedal and the brakes were starting to make noise, so out of round
drums seemed like the likely culprit.  They didn't look bad at all when I
took them off so I figured this would be a simple, low cost job.  Pep boys
called me back and said they couldn't turn the drums without an official DOT
spec limit to go by.  I read them the spec out of the shop manual (no more
than .030 removed) but that wouldn't satisfy them.  It has to be approved by
DOT and none of their references go back that far. I guess everybody is
running scared these days and won't do anything they can't defend against in
court.   Is this another instance similar to the kid at the Auto Zone who
insisted they didn't make Plymouths before 1962 because there not listed in
the computer?
I live in the Dayton, Ohio area.  If anyone knows where I can get this done
please let me know.  I had planned to eventually convert to disks, but not
just yet.

Thanks,

Bob McGrath