Re: [FWDLK] brake linings

eastern sierra Adj Services wrote:

> As I said, before , I would prefer to have discs, on a freeway
> full-boogie stop, from above 70 mph. I've found that MOST 'stops' only
> require a "slowing-down" , to some extent, to avoid a hazard.

> How many of y'all have actually brought yer car's speed down to ZERO, in
> a true panic STOP, @ highway speeds????

> Neil

1976 Merc Gran Marquis 9 pass wagon, one big hummer of a wagon,
4 wheel Disks, Stop on a dime and give change.
This had the ford 9" rear with a better front/rear ratio setup on brakes,
could lock all 4 up.  I believe the key here was the fact that the rears
shared more of the braking action then a lot of the other 4 wheel disk
setups.
With all the ones I have seen/owned/driven, I thought the braking action
was shared better on that wagon then GM and Mopar.

Most 4 wheel disk cars that I know of still allocated the majority of
braking action to the front wheels. Or at least seemed to.
I know on several vehicles that the rear pads lasted 3-4 times longer
then the fronts. Looking at the wear factor, just how much
braking was the rear doing????
Whats the average wear factor ration on rear drum, front disk, 2-3 times???

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6