Re: [FWDLK] brake linings

<How many of y'all have actually brought yer car's speed down to ZERO, in
<a true panic STOP, @ highway speeds????

I did a couple of years ago. I was cruising in the left lane of a 4 lane
freeway at 70 (the limit), when I saw a lot of scrambling 100 yards up ahead
in the right lanes. I think cars were dodging somebody slowing down for the
exit there. Out of that mess a full size wagon appeared sliding sideways at
60 mph, pointed towards my lane, and moving towards my lane. The car 50
yards in front of me hit the wagon in the LH front fender, exploding parts
everywhere, spinning the wagon 180 degrees, and sending it back across 4
lanes of traffic into the ditch, without hitting anybody else. The car in my
lane wound up hard against the concrete median barrier. I was able to stop
before joining the mess. Lucky for me I was patient (a rare occurrence)
getting onto the freeway, because that car in front of me had just passed me
on the 2 lane entrance ramp a half mile before. Ex-police Crown Vics with 4
wheel anti-lock discs are good!

Then there was the time I was on the freeway going into Minneapolis. I was
in the left lane of a 3 lane freeway and 20 yards ahead in the center lane
was a semi. We were all moving at least 60 when a fool, in an old Maverick,
in the right lane managed to find himself being pushed down the road
sideways in front of the semi. I could see the nose sticking out. The semi
driver realized the Maverick was there, braked, and the Maverick slid away
from him. Then it did a 360 degree spin and was in MY lane! I was on the
brakes even before that. Then it did another 180 and went into the shallow
median backwards. It eventually came to rest, still on all 4 wheels, and
didn't go through the median (no barrier) into the oncoming lanes. A real
"E" ticket ride for the Maverick driver!

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500