Re: [FWDLK] steering columns and tilt wheel and cc

Re: [FWDLK] steering columns and tilt wheel and cc

So far as I know FWDLK era cruise control was handled by a dial on the
dash - at least, the '63 Imperial I had for about 3 weeks or so some 10
years ago had this 'select-o-cruise' kind of thing where you set the dial to
the desired speed (it read 1 through 10 around the knob I think) and could
hit the gas for passing and let off and it would return to the set speed.
Can't remember how you let off it.. I think the car had an owners manual in
it and that was how I figured out what it was.   Wish I had been able to
keep that car - it just needed the brakes done.

So anyways, you could change the column but adding a cruise system is a
little more work than that.   If the MoPar columns are in any way similar to
GM (using the 'rag joint' connector) you can pretty much swap anything to
anything post '57 so long as the length of column fits your car.  You will I
am sure find that factory tilt columns came in only the Imperial and the
highest end of the other cars - Chrysler New Yorker, convertibles, etc.  I
know GM had them by '64 but I am not sure on the MoPars.

If you get too new, then you wind up with two ignition switches as the
columns after about '68 or so have one on them so the wheel can be locked.
So then you have to cap the hole in the dash most likely.

You could also look into the aftermarket stuff for the street rod crowd and
see what there is available.  Maybe there is a column option that would give
you a cruise stalk but not an ignition switch on it -

Your car must have a fuse block in it now someplace, unless someone wired it
out ages ago, so I am a little confused by what you're saying there, but a
new wiring system is not a bad idea if theres any reason to suspect trouble
in the old one.

Bill K.