Re: [FWDLK] Engine Transmission removal 101 question.

Re: [FWDLK] Engine Transmission removal 101 question.

IMHO---that's the HARD way to do it. I unbolt the converter from the flywheel, and leave it with the tranny on these old cast iron torque flites, as well as any other automatic equipped car I work on. I can imagine that it would be exceedingly difficult to engage the drive lugs on the torque converter with it attached to the engine--(during reassembly)--it's tricky enough as it is with just the torque converter. Not to mention, you might booger up the torque converter/transmission pump drive lugs with it attached to the engine, whilst going back together. Removing it as described by Mike would be somewhat acceptable, although you could stand a chance of converter or front pump damage doing it that way (I've seen it happen!) although I wouldn't recommend reinstallation in that fashion. Just my two cents. ---Zach, your friendly neighborhood (professional) mechanic.