Re: [FWDLK] Engine Transmission removal 101 question.

Re: [FWDLK] Engine Transmission removal 101 question.

I just reinstalled my engine into my ' 58 Desoto today, and did it with the flywheel/converter already installed into the tranny. Not too difficult, and surely less likely to damage my front pump or torque converter. The '58 desoto service manual instructs you to remove the transmission from the bellhousing, and therefore leave those items attached to the back of the engine, when removing just the transmission. Now, considering that, in my particular case, the tranny was already rebuilt, I felt no need to remove it with the engine, as instructed by the service manual (when you are a mechanic paid on commission, you must realize the fact that performing unnecessary work is costing you money). You remove only the part being worked on, such as my engine. Why waste time, when it is unnecessary? So, I reinstalled my engine today, with the tranny and torque converter already in place, ready to "go". Keep in mind that the technique I describe (leaving the T.C. in the tranny)applies to most cars from the sixties on up, in which the transmission and bellhousing are one piece.I apply this technique to my desoto as a time saver. My recommendation: do it however you like! But my method works best for me, and could save someone time, if their tranny is good. I am an experienced professional, and certainly no "wannabe"  ----Zach-----