From: Bill Watson <wwatson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2003/12/17 Wed AM 06:06:36 EST
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Off Topic - Plymouth Police Car ID?

Chrysler offered B body police cars right from the first B body in 1962.
Both B and C body police cars (Plymouth and Dodge) were available to the end
of the body lines.  The R body was available as a police car in 1979-81 and
was followed by the M body through to the end in 1989.  Even the A body
Valiant and Dart were available as police cars in the 1970's as was the F
body Aspen and Volare.

Chrysler Newports could be purchased with the police package starting in
1961.  Dodge at the time was the big supplier of police cars, but when they
decided to drop the big Dodge the police package moved over to Chrysler.
When Dodge came out with the 880 in 1963, the Chrysler police package faded
out.

Engine choices included all regular passenger car engines, including the
slant six when available, plus some special heavy-duty police package
engines. I remember the City of Winnipeg police department had some
six-cylinder 1969 Fury I 2-door sedan police cars for a while.  Not all
police cars were used for highway chases, remember.

As to how to determine if it is a police car or not,  during the late 1960's
and into the 1970's the second digit of the VIN would have a "K" for the
Police model.  "T" was for taxi.   Sales codes could include police car roof
wiring and reinforcement, dual zippered headlining, calibrated speedometer,
heavy-duty suspension, bigger brakes and wheels.   Interiors were usually
plain heavy-duty vinyl - no pleats and the like.

>From 1969 through to at least 1980, "A38" was for the Police Package and was
on the data tag.   Other codes were Y51 for the Ontario Provincial Police
and Y52 for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Bill
Vancouver, BC