From: "Dr. Ed Vitz" <vitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] drum puller info?

| Hi all--
|    I've just been lurking 'till now but this is a question
I can help with (most of you know much more than I).
|    I met Les Fairbanks at a DeSoto Club meeting, and he
sells a custom made drum puller. 616.463.5260,
lessue@xxxxxxxxxxx, 4965 Park Dr., Watervliet, MI 49098.  I
didn't buy one (they were about $100?), because I still use
the big hammer and acetylene torch method.  Some of the hubs
on late 50's cars are rusted on too well for even a real big
hammer, and the drum puller is a good idea.  If you just
want to work on brakes, you can usually remove the drum from
the hub with a hammer, pounding on one side while pulling
one the other.  Too little a whack, and you get nowhere; too
big a whack and you can crack the drum.  Let me know how you
make out.

|    I live in Kutztown, PA, and have a '59 Firesweep 4 dr,
'52 Plymouth convertible, '68 Fury convertible, and '57
retractable, all drivers in varying stages of restoration.
Dave, your intrepid listmanager, put the "Dr." in front of
my name--I'm not a "real" doctor, just the chemist kind.
Quit a good job at my dad's garage and went to grad school,
but still remember which end of the hammer to pick up.

| Ed Vitz

access the rear
| > brakes.  I understand the puller for Mopars is different
than the
| > GM puller
| > (surprise, surprise).  My question is:  Does anyone have
a part
| > number,manufacturer, or source so I can find the right
tool the
| > first time (I hate
| > trial and error)?  Do you know the approximate cost?
| >
| > Happy holidays to all!
| >
| > Bryan Scott
| > Charlton, MA

| > Over 25,000 pages of archived Forward Look information
can be
| > easily searched at
| > http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm  Powered by
Google!