From: "Dr. Ed Vitz" <vitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Fwd: Re: Sweet SMELL o' Success!!!
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 17:52:53 -0500

Hi Again Neal (And others interested in Chemistry !!??)
   That Elixir of Exner is technically VOCs (volatile organic chemicals).
As I mentioned before, the nasty ones are a hot topic now because some are
degassed from building materials and are major indoor air pollutants.  So
the methods are fairly common.  You use a little air pump to suck the air
through a solvent that traps the VOCs, or you suck the air through a small
canister of stuff that absorbs the VOCs.  Then you attach the sample
canister to the $100,000 GC/MS (gas chromatograph/liquid spectrometer)
that's right behind the tire changer in your shop.  You heat the sample,
driving off the gases, and the GC separates them into pure components, then
the MS beams the ions through a magnetic field and reports their masses (and
masses of the fragments that result from this treatment).  You look up the
masses to identify the compounds, and the peak size tells you how much was
present.  You might be able to replicate the mixture in a spray that smelled
like that old "new car !
 smell", b
   If this isn't already much more than you really wanted to hear about the
VOC analysis, you can find out more by going to google.com or www.epa.gov
and searching for VOC, or, for example:
http://www.skcshopping.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId=6501907LLBM-ACCWARE-M727&ic=226-345
   Best,
    Dokter DeSoto

----- Original Message ----- From: esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx (eastern sierra Adj Services) Date: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 10:02 pm Subject: Sweet SMELL o' Success!!!Dr. Ed Vitz Professor of Chemistry Editor, Tested Demonstrations, J. Chem. Educ. Kutztown University, Kutztown PA 19530 610.683.4443 http://faculty.kutztown.edu/vitz/

> Dr. Ed, what would be the best way, to collect the necessary > volume of > NOS new-car-smell > from Virgil (the CAR, I mean!) in order to be able to analyze the > chemical composition of the > atmospheic ELIXIR-of-EXNER ? > > btw, Happy Holidays, y'all!! > > > Neil, Knorma & Horace > >

Over 25,000 pages of archived Forward Look information can be easily
searched at

Expand your wine savvy ? and get some great new recipes ? at MSN Wine.
http://wine.msn.com