Re: [FWDLK] Crashes to crashes; rust to rust

Re: [FWDLK] Crashes to crashes; rust to rust

Yeah, what Neil said concerning rust, poor design, salt getting trapped etc.  I also discovered when disassembling original cars that even though there was undercoating on the inside of the fender (which stuck rather well to the point that my body guy didn't want to bother trying to scrape/sandblast it off), the last 8" of the inner eyebrow did NOT have any undercoating at all. What was there was a thin layer of paint. So this was an invitation for the fenders to rust out.

So, here's what I did on my 58 Ply to prevent any future problems :

Rockers - Cold-galvanized the inner rockers before welding on the car.

Inner Eyebrows, lower rear fender area, trunk floor and extension area by quarter panels, floor boards, removeable panel by driver's feet - coating of Corroless.

Ron