Re: [FWDLK] Crashes to crashes; rust to rust

Re: [FWDLK] Crashes to crashes; rust to rust

(i'm back,  from the Pasatucky Tournament of Rodents extravaganza), &
am getting "caught-up".

When I first  acquired custodianship of Horrie, and had begun his
semi-extreme make-over, I couldn't figger out how to remove his
front-of-fender "crowns", because, when I reached up-under the fender
'ledges', I discovered (what felt like) solid-metal "panels"
that blocked-off the front edges of the fenders.

I finally got a light 'up' there (not a lot of room to manuever, with
the wheel installed) & realized that what I had been feeling was
compacted "petrified" (what?)  dirt, etc, that was completely FILLING
that cavity!

The only (very minor) rust-out (don't ask me 'why'; only-there!!!)  was
on the driver's side fender, right at the juncture/
connection with the front-upper 'valance' panel-piece.

I'm not aware of the (former?) existence  of any
"shield" on top of the  front-fender-liner, which would have partially
protected the fender upper-
ledge, from dirt/grunge deposition.

I's a wonder ANY non-dry-area  late-50's MoPar survived!!

Neil Vedder