[FWDLK] Dumb question

Group,

Since it seems quiet out there in "forward look land", I thought it a
good time to ask a dumb question.

Thermostats come it various degrees for our cars (i.e. 160,180,190,
etc.).   What would be the reason for running what degree?   Engine
temp.?  Outside temp.?   Heater temp?

Looking for warmer (outside) temperatures in WI

Greg
1956 Dodge Royal Lancer