Re: [FWDLK] That's the Brakes...Parking

Brian,

The 1962 TorqueFlights with the parking drum brake were used in Chryslers
and some large Dodges. One year only. All of these were designed to fit
behind B series engines. If your current engine is a B block engine made in
62 or after, it will fit directly. If the engine is a 62 or later A small
block, you will need to find a 727 (62 ? 65) for a small block and transfer
the tail housing assembly with drum. If your engine is a pre-62 version, you
will need an adapter for an A engine, or a 62 or newer crank for a B engine.
All (except 51 ? 54? Chrysler) early Hemis and Polys through 62 need a 727
from an A small block and an adapter.

My 56 Dodge now has a 62 727A transmission with the tail housing and drum
from a 62 Chrysler. All the original 56 brake parts fit, except the drum,
which has a different spline count. By using the 56 brake backing plate, I
could retain the original 56 brake cable.

If you are lucky, the original parking brake drum cable will be long enough
to reach. Imperial Services can provide new shift and speedo cables, and
tranny mounts.

To everybody on the ForwardLook List: it would be helpful when asking
questions to provide basic information, such as engine, trans, year, and
model.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500