[FWDLK] Magnum Info

For the last three days or so I have enjoyed the talk about the new Magnum.
As a Mopar guy I found out the following to share with the Forward Look
members who are interested in this subject.  I write Mopar News and the
NASCAR Report for my car clubs newsletter, so I was asked to research info
on the Magnum for 2 reasons.

1) Is this the replacement for the Intrepid, and if so how will this "Wagon"
effect the NASCAR program that Dodge just started up in 2001?

2) What will the Police Departments do who just went to the new Intrepid
Police package in the past 2 years.

This is what I found out.
I contacted "Scene" a Winston/Nextel Cup magazine.  They looked into this
and were told the Intrepid would end production in Nov/Dec as a 2004 model,
so the car can be used for the '04 season in NASCAR.  In July, Dodge was
going to release a 4 door sedan, rear drive version of the Magnum, with a
special edition, for NASCAR, called the "Charger" or "Daytona".  A proto
type would be ready  for the Dodge NASCAR teams to make templates and to get
the OK for Nextel Cup for the 2005 season.

Checking at my local Dodge dealer (who I have ties with) I was informed the
wagon goes into production in March and will see showrooms in late April or
May as a 2005 model.   There is NO new Intrepid.  The 4 door rear drive
version of the Magnum will be the Intrepids replacement.  This car is said
to have the Magnums front end, but will be like the 300C from the cowl back,
with different tail lights.  The interior will be from the Magnum wagon.
There were 2 reasons for the wagon to come out first.  The
4-door sedan would compete with the 300C (which Chrysler does not want) and
the fact that it is the Intrepid replacement, it was feared the consumer
would by the new Magnum, and dealers would get stuck with thousands of FWD
'04 Intrepids.
As for the Police Package.  I was told a rear drive sedan police package
will be available with the HEMI or 4.7 V8 next year.

Hope this answers any questions, and I hope the info I was given is correct.

Thanks,
Mike

58 Plymouth "Christine"

You can check out our clubs web site @ www.moparsinmotion.com