Re: [FWDLK] Overhauling a radio: AM/FM

Tony,

Around here, there is not much left worth listening to on AM.

I think there is only one AM/FM stereo conversion process out there. The
parts all come from one source: ANTIQUE
AUTOMOBILE RADIO, INC, in Florida. Look at
http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/ for details on this conversion.
Simply, they take out everything inside the radio except the dial and tuner
section, and replace it with a modern circuit card stereo digital radio, 22
watts per channel, and input jacks for a CD player. External physical
appearance is not changed. I met the owner at Hershey and listened to
several conversions. Very high quality. There are several dozen authorized
conversion dealers around the US, and a few in Canada, Europe, and
Australia.

A few weeks ago I dropped off my 56 Dodge Town & Country radio for this
conversion at a local (for me) shop, Electro-Tech, Inc.
(http://www.turnswitch.com), that uses this conversion process and circuit
card. I should get it back in 2 weeks. This fellow has been in the
electrical business for many years and is quite knowledgeable, and also
restores gauges. His price is a few bucks cheaper and turn-around much
quicker than the main operation in Florida. He operates the radio for a week
or 2, before returning it to the customer, to make sure it will continue to
work.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500
Minneapolis, MN