Re: [FWDLK] '59 runs a little hot...Higher flow water pump?

Re: [FWDLK] '59 runs a little hot...Higher flow water pump?

The joys of owning a vehicle with a temp gauge . . . .

If your car had a light instead of a gauge you would not notice the increase
in temp as you creep along in traffic on a hot day.

Over 200 degress?   That is not bad, and is normal.  So the temp gauge is
creeping up on a hot day when creeping along in traffic.  That is normal.
Now, if the temp gauge raises when it is -40, then you have a problem!
(Been there . . . )

Putting in a lower thermostat will not help.  Remember, the rating of a
thermostat is the MINIMUM temperature, not the maximum.  A 160 thermostat
means the coolant will NOT be LESS than 160 degrees F.   A 190 thermostat
means the coolant will NOT be LESS than 190 degrees F.  The maximum?  Who
knows

If your coolant temperature is getting out of hand (and judging by your
description, it is not), and taking into consideration the new thermostat,
rebult rad, good hoses, rad cap  and water pump, the last recourse is
cleaning out the engine block.  You would be surprised how much gunk
collects over the years.

Anything else, be it a "super water pump", "super cool" coolant additive, or
whatever - they are all a waste of money.  To cure the problem you must know
the cause.  All the other junk you buy just masks the problem.  Buy a super
water pump today, and next year you will again be wondering what is wrong.

Been driving cars with temp gauges for 35 years.   They show "problems" that
never appear on cars with a temp light, such as my 1983 Imperial.

Bill
Vancouver,. BC