Re: [FWDLK] And the wheel goes round round round... Radial tire convo co

Re: [FWDLK] And the wheel goes round round round... Radial tire convo continues...

Charles,

I think the inner tube on drag racing slicks is required because during a
hard launch a tire may slip on the rim and loose its seal. To prevent this,
screws are often set through the wheel rim into the bead of the tire, or
clamps could also be used.

I suspect that bias belted tires are used for most drag slicks because their
sidewalls are stiffer or the tire distorts less under stress. BFG has been
marketing a "drag radial" tire for a few years. I have heard good reports
about its performance. My son liked them.

If the wheel rim is designed for tubeless tires, I see no advantage in using
a tube. Just one more thing to affect tire balance. On rims made before
tubeless tires, a tube is mandatory. I don't think this applies to any
ForwardLook era cars. Maybe in the early 50s?

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500