From: Lou
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 9:45 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] er..who said don't trust the temp GAUGE? :-)

Well, I think my gauge is accurate...

I finally got the wheels and rebuilt brake booster back on the '59  Dodge, so I took it for its first ride of the year.  when I got back, I let it idle with a little throttle in the driveway while I swept out the carport, then the phone rang...

Bottom line, the car idled at about 1200 RPM for about 20 minutes.  temp outside is 67ish (F)  Temp gauge was pegged at H and I could smell antifreeze and see some steam.   Just as I was getting in to turn off the engine, I could hear  it  Whoooosh.  And then the antifreeze started pouring out of the overflow hose

So....were 1959 cars just not meant to idle that long or do I have a legit problem?  if this happened at 70 degrees, I hate to think what's going to happen in August...especially after I install a/c  :-/

Car has a new 4 row radiator, 16lb lever-vent cap, 6 blade fan, 180deg t-stat.  No fan shroud  installed YET (but it never had one new either..sooo...think that will make that much of a difference?)

I still wonder if the water jacket is plugged or corroded so much that the heat transfer is not good enough.

Thoughts?  Buyers?

Lou