[FWDLK] Transmission question

Guys -

Following was sent to me with regard to trans problems in a '61 Newport.
Apparently the replacement trans is a '65 unit.   Can anyone answer the
question with regard to the clutch packs?  Highlighting is mine.  Might be
useful info to everyone, especially if no one is making that seal.

(I'm selling this guy an expensive window, so I don't mind taking a few
minutes to try help get an answer on this)

Incedentally this car runs disc brakes on '73-'78 fullsize spindles and he
says it seems to handle fine.  If it's not a bolt on, the A-arms are altered
for newer ball joints.

Bill K.

Here is the story on the parking brake when i got the car the parking cable
was hooked up to the brake cable so it did have park but the trans buttons
on the dash where kind of sticky and it did not always go into and out of
drive with the 1st push of the button sometimes i had to push the button a
2nd time with the neutral safety switch not working I put the car in neutral
and put the car in park the next time i started it it was still in drive and
park at the same time which broke the parking Sprague and pushed it through
the side of the trans case leaving me a 1 1/2 hole in the side a the case
and a long crack so i pulled the trans and welded up the hole and the crack
then the torque converter blew up about a month latter probably from s### in
side the trans or the heat from welding so i got a different trans rebuilt
it (more on that in a minute) put that in and with the new style back axle I
had parking brakes there so i just used a brake cable out of a 79 d150 and
some fabrication and hooked up the parking brakes to the pedal

the trans i got to rebuild had broken planetary gear so i striped it down
and cleaned it up went to Napa and got a rebuild kit for it everything fit
fine except the big rubber seal for one of the sets of clutch's I could not
get the piston back in so i pulled the seal and compared it to the old one
(which had a lot of tiny cracks in it) and they where different so i went
down to the Chrysler dealer and they looked up the part number from the old
seal and cross referenced it through about 5 part numbers and came up with
the same seal that would not fit so i took the clutch pack to a trans shop
and they told me the seal would not fit with no seal and no way of getting a
new one I started looking for a good used one and found one that looks to be
in good shape this was 4 years ago and the trans has not slipped a bit since
now for the question ******** do you know if the newer style clutch packs
will fit the old style trans to me it looked like i could have just thrown
in the whole clutch pack from a mid 70's trans and used that but was not
sure and nobody could answer that for me ********

---