[FWDLK] STUDS: The HUB of the matter

All right: 1st of all, you engineering-types (cept for Dave Homstad)
haven't exactly  jumped in on this thread, that I'm hanging from.

Also, I was not present when my shop replaced  Horrie's swaged brake
drum studs, which allowed the brake "drums" to slip-off of the
rear axles, without the necessity of using a
"wheel-puller" (any longer).

Welll, I went back to my shop, today, with my souvenir swaged stud (that
I keep in my office, for old-times-sake) and with the 2 WPC Club
articles that I authored (vols xviii/#7, 3/87 ; &
xxii/#2, 10/90), and told him to splain hisself.

He said that the central "hub" area is actually a SEPARATE piece, from
the outer "drum" section, and that the 2 pieces are held-together (thanx
to Chryco's renowned over-engineering)
by the swaged (press-fitted) 'shoulder-sections' of the studs that are
installed from/through the underside of the center-HUB section-piece. I
had been led to believe that the "swaged-studs" which prevented the easy
removal of the drums were the studs that are installed  from the rear of
the AXLE-FLANGES: wrong!

Actually, the axle flange studs ARE 'swaged' into the flanges, but
they're not responsible for holding the hub/drum to the tapered axle (as
Lou & Dave have asked-about).

SO, once the hub/drum assembly is "pulled" off of the axle, the HUB
studs can be replaced with the 'standard round-shouldered' studs, so
that, once the hub/drum assembly is re-mounted to the tapered axle
(using  copious "anti-seize lube"  on the nexus of the hub & tapered
axle)
here it comes--------in the future, the "standard" round-shouldered
studs will allow the outer drum-section-piece  to SEPARATE itself from
the hub-section-piece (which remains 'mated' to the tapered axle, and
which WILL require the use of a puller, to remove----however, the only
reason for the 'pulling' of the hub would be for a servicing of the axle
bearings, which are internally lubricated (right?), and which usually
only require "replacement"(?) .

ALL brake "servicing" can be performed with only the easy-removal of the
drum-section- piece, INCLUDING "turning" of the drums!

Now, "this" was the way that "the-deal" was splained to me.

Kinda interesting, huh?

Neil Vedder