Re: [FWDLK] RARER Than Rare??

A few problems here . . ..

Chrysler of Canada would sell you a Mopar product not offered in Canada
(Plymouth Fury, Dodge D-501, etc.) BUT they imported the car from the U.S.
They did not build a car in Canada with special imported engines or build
models built in the U.S. and not offered in Canada.

"Posi-Track" was General Motors, not Chrysler.  As you say, Sure-Grip came
out in 1958, not 1957.

The 1957 Canadian-built Dodge Custom Royal came with a 313-cid V8, not a
354.  The 354 was used in 1958.  And it was the Windsor poly, not a New
Yorker hemi.   No Canadian-built Dodge used a hemi engine after 1955.

Near as I can tell, the Canadian 1957 Custom Royal used the same interior as
the American Custom Royal.  It was 1960 that the Canadian Polara used the
lower-priced Matador interior.   And shared it with the Canadian Chrysler
Windsor.

A car built in July 1957 with an engine from earlier in the model year?  And
an engine not offered in Canada?  Big question marks.

Air Conditioning on a Canadian-built 1957 Chryco product?  I think not.  You
could get "Air Control", which was another way of saying heater with
defroster.   And the Hi-Way Hi-fi?  Sorry, but that is another option that
Chrysler of Canada did not offer, not even in 1956.

You cannot tell from the body plate on pre-1966 Chryco products when the car
was built.  Although, with the VIN you could tell how early/late in the
model year it was built.   The "1869" means it was the 1,869th Custom Royal
2-door hardtop built.   Do not know how many 2-door hardtops were built in
Windsor for 1957, but total 1957 Custom Royal production came to 7,048.

Would like to see a copy of this original "documentation".   And a copy of
the body plate.  So far nothing adds up.

By the way, the 1957 D-501 option used engines leftover from the 1956
Chrysler 300-B.  In other words, they were 354-cid hemi enignes.  And they
were only offered on Coronet models.

A couple of years ago "Mopar Action" had an article on a Canadian 1957 Dodge
Custom Royal that the owner had installed a 1956 Chrysler 354 hemi. complete
with 2, 4-bbl carbs.

Bill
Vancouver, BC