[FWDLK] To serve & protect...

I shouldn't but I'm going to weigh in on this.  Two years,
three local shows ago, there was a '57 Fury restored as
close to original as possible and a '58 "Belvedere" two door
sedan painted plum crazy with a big engine etc.  That year
the custom job won out over the bone stock Fury.  This was a
people's choice show, and was open to all.

--Roger van Hoy, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '42 DeSoto, '41
Dodge, '66 Plymouth, '81 Imperial, Washougal, WA

| |
| | Since I'm into the restoration and preservation thing,
it
| does irritate
| | me how little appreciation people have for the
difficulty
| in maintaining
| | an original car.  It's kind of frustrating to take my
| nicely preserved
| | 57 Dodge and 39 DeSoto to car shows, and have them
ignored
| while people
| | fawn and rave over custom jobs with lots of readily
| available modern
| | geegaws.
| |
| | BUT, I bought my cars to be enjoyed by me and my family,
| not to be
| | judged by others.  So be it.
| |
| | Tony in Boise
| |
cars.
| Despite
| | there
| | being several other shows going on at the same time.
| |
| |
| | The more argument I hear in favor of preservation the
more
| tempted I am
| | cut mine up...
| |
| |
| |
| | Bill K.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | > --- In 1NumeroUno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, x779@xxxx wrote:
| | >
| | > So do you want it preserved in some form by someone
who
| likes what
| | they
| | have
| | > and cares for it, or do you want it to sit and rot
| somewhere for the
| | > restorer who may never come along?
| | >
| | > Don't forget the third and most-opted-for option:
| restored and
| | preserved
| | by the restorer who discovers it.
| | >
| | > Short of sitting and rotting into the dirt or going
the
| demo derby
| | route I
| | > don't much care what someone does with their car.
| | >
| | > Bill K.
| | >
| | > Here's why we should all care: they aren't making any
| more Forward
| | Look
| | cars.
| | > The more originals that are modified around, the fewer
| repro parts
| | will be
| | available because it won't be worth the cost and effort
| reproduce
| | them
| | for fewer and fewer cars.
| | >
| | > =Lou=