Re: [FWDLK] "New Member Intro!" 8-)

Hi, All:

Our moderator informed me that my 'Intro' letter NEVER made it to the general group as I had mistakenly left off the 'look' as part of the e-mail default return address.

Since the intro was WAY too long, I'll attempt to keep this brief and to the point, within the confines of the group's purpose.

My name is 'Robb Russo,' Italian, of course.  I am 55+-years-old, 'retired' on disability and in a wheelchair.  I can NO longer drive.  I just love the Foward Look cars and my dad WAS a huge fan of them.

I collect 1:24- and 1:18-scale diecast model cars as a way of having some 'connection' with the cars and would kill to own and actually drive one.  They're expensive and rare these days so I should have snatched one back in the mid-'60s when I first started driving!  Unfortunately, I was a '57 Chevy fanatic back then and focused ALL my collecting and energy on driving those cars.

I found a 'recent' Mopar video that I haven't yet seen of the Forward Look cars.  I hope to make here a couple 'friends,' if possible.  NO one I know here cares any bit about them.  Everyone MY age is into late-'60s muscle-cars!  People old enough to remember them ONLY recall the 'bad' parts.  The quality-control WAS bad!  These cars originally were scheduled for 1959, according to a Chrysler source I talked to.  They rusted-out early and started heading to the junkyards and 'crusher' WAY too early on.  That's why FEW survive now.  By the time the 'quality' problems were fixed, by late-1958, it was too late!  People avoided Chrysler cars like the plague, and it took until 1965 for Mopar to return to 'normal' sales.  Nobody 'credits' Chrysler for that fabulous three-speed Torqueflite, even better-rated than Hydromatic!  They also were FIRST with the 'pull-up' door handles and station wagons with a power window recessing into the tailgate.  Consider GM's wagons back then you'll see the 'advance.'  My father and mother BOTH drove them back then.  If only I would of have today's passion years ago.  Now I could maybe even have gotten a '300-C' or the even MORE impossible to find--an 'Adventurer!'  Wow!  You talk about too little, too late! 8-)

I'll add some 'remarks' to on-going e-mail if I can, as I NOW collect everything I can on those cars.  Is there ANY of you that might have an 'extra' copy of "The Plymouth & DeSoto Story?"  I have been trying to get one for 2-years and can't compete on eBay with guys working full-time and having lots of 'disposable' income!  A 'fixed' government check doesn't get you much these days.

Let me know 'privately' if one of you has a copy of the book.

Thanks for letting me join.  I hope to add insight and learn even MORE about these rare, fabulous cars!

Robb Russo