Re: [FWDLK] lead substitutes

Actually, - Chrysler did not start using hardened seats until the 1973 MY.
My 71 383 did NOT have them (proof can be seen if you just look at the heads
now).
One note though, - you probably won't have any trouble with NO-lead gasoline
as long as the engine has not been apart (i.e. a "Valve job" performed).
The lead that is imbedded into the valve faces and seats will keep them
protected for a long time (or so I hear).  Once a valve job is done (of
course), the lead is removed.
It also depends on the type of driving the engine is being subjected to.
Long high-speed running can pound them out even if there is some
"protection" there at the moment.  "Putting around town" on the other hand
means the valves etc will last a long time (also, - "or so I have heard").
A couple of cases in point, - my 71 Chrysler had 50K on it when I bought it.
The valves lasted until 140 (bought the car in 81, - so NO leaded gas was
available).

I put a set of "fresh" non-hardened seat heads on my daughter's 318 Duster.
A year later, - the seats were so pounded-out that the car would not even
start.
(yes, - she is a "lead-foot").

Regards,
DaveG.