[FWDLK] 1958 New Yorker Wagon in Evel Knievel Movie

[FWDLK] 1958 New Yorker Wagon in Evel Knievel Movie

Mark Hash has confirmed that the New Yorker wagon in the Evel Knievel movie is my 1958 New Yorker wagon.

It's Stardust Blue with a white roof, but the roof rack was not on, for the film. It had been removed to have the roof repainted and the rack rechromed, but on the day before filming, I reinstalled the roof rack slats, but was unable to put the "four corners" and the four tubes back on, because the rechromed corners were now too tight to allow the tubes to go through. So, it went with slats only.  I've since honed out the excess material, so it all fits together, but I haven't polished the stainless steel tubes yet, so the car remains rack-less for now.

After the movie shoot, I had the steering box rebuilt, only to have it start leaking. Took it back to the rebuilder, who changed the o-ring, only to have the engine self-destruct on the return trip (and the steering box still leaks). The engine is presently being rebuilt, as is the transmission -- might as well, since it's out of the car anyway, which then leads to repainting the engine compartment, since the engine is already out, which then leads to repainting the lower body, since it's at the paint shop anyway, and the roof is freshly repainted ...

The movie was shot in May, so I was surprised that it's already on TV. I'll have to watch it, and see if I can spot my 1968 Chrysler wagon (white with woodgrain) and my 1975 Olds Custom Cruiser (baby blue) that were also used in that film.

Dick Woodside