[FWDLK] A few rust fighting products

I have been moving along with my Dodge project and figured I would pass
along some info on a few products I have been using.

My car has been sitting in bare metal for over a year.  It is still very
clean but has a few spots starting to rust.  I used 2 Rust converters with
good results so far.

Eastwood Oxysolv is a very good product basically spray it on, work it in
with scotchbrite and wipe off with a paper towel.  It leaves a very nice
Zinc Oxide coating.  I was very impressed with the ability of this product
to turn light rust into clean metal.
I used a quart of Oxisolve just in the front part of the passenger
compartment and it you have to leave it on and keep it wet for at least 20
minutes.  I found that this caused you to use a lot of product very quickly
but I liked the results.

The next one I tried is called Picklex 20 - it applies the same way but you
only have to leave it on for a minute or 2 before just wiping off with a
paper towel.  I found that this was much faster to apply and you used a LOT
less product with equal results.  I did notice that the Picklex 20 tends to
leave behind a bit of a chalky residue in some places. This comes right off
with a scotch brite pad. I like the Picklex 20 for the ease of application
and the speed of the chemical reaction.  Compared to the Oxisolve I dont see
the reason to wait and keep applying if the Picklex will do the same job
using less product and in less time.

Zero-Rust - This is a product that is very much like POR-15.  The chassis
and underside of my Dodge was done with POR-15. I have always liked the POR
Products have noticed 2 problems on my car.  The POR-15 is flaking off the
underside of the body in a few places where the metal was new or clean. (I
followed the POR directions to the letter) and I had rust coming through the
POR on the lower control arms (that never saw any water).  The Zero-Rust is
a rest encapsulater like the POR but this is much less expensive, less toxic
and easier to work with.  Rather that applying it with a brush I thinned the
Zero-Rust and sprayed the inside of the body and trunk using an inexpensive
HVLP spray gun.  So far the results look excellent.  Time will tell how it
holds up but my initial impression is very favorable.

I bought the Picklex 20 and Zero-Rust from www.autobodystore.com
Autobobystore.com caters to people who want do their own body nd paint work
and has a very active message board to discuss painting and body related
issues also.

Scott 1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab