Re: [FWDLK] "1958 DeSoto 'Adventurer' Convertible!" 8-)

Re: [FWDLK] "1958 DeSoto 'Adventurer' Convertible!" 8-)

Hi, All:

I've mentioned this 'feature' to some of you privately and thought some of the rest of you might be interested, too!

The NEW (current) issue of Hemmings Classic Car, Vol. 1, No. 1, has a feature story with GREAT pics of the 'mythic' '58 DeSoto 'Adventurer' convertible, the ONLY one known to have 'fuel-injection' out there.  Why do I say 'mythic?'  Because it is readily apparent to me that the '57 and '58 'Adventurers' HAVE reached the level of rarity and parts unavailable that to have one of these elite cars is almost a 'myth.'  If there's '50' left in the world I would be surprised.  They are simply beyond belief in beauty and details and have LONG passed the venerable Chrysler '300' in value and worth.

Two-years-ago in Cars & Parts I saw an 'auction' in the magazine where a black-and-gold '57 'Adventurer' was bid to $70,000 and didn't even come CLOSE to the 'reserve,' according to the magazine.  I dunno.  ARE they approaching the $100,000.00 limit?  If not, it won't be long!  It stands to reason ONLY the '57 Chevy is the de rigueur of the automotive world.  Those you can (and do!) everywhere!  I used to be insane for them right out of high school in the mid-'60s.  I had THREE different ones.  If only someone would have pointed my foolish eye towards the 'Forward Look' cars.

The owner of this '58 DeSoto notes his car is SO rare and valuable, he can't even 'drive' it anywhere!  Excuse me?!  What's the use of having a car TOO beautiful and rare to drive?  The owner says 'parts' are impossible to find and he had to buy another 'Adventurer' in order to have the 'correct' wheel-covers!  I also note his car has the 'correct' 2"-wide whitewalls, which sleeks it up ALL the more.

And to think I only came to the 'party' three-years-ago!  All those years being a Chevrolet fanatic!  I'm sitting with '55 and '56 Chevrolet Dealer Albums that I'd happily trade for one of the '57/'58 Chrysler or DeSoto albums!  When I think how ALL dealer's sales items were simply tossed in a dumpster in back at the end of every model years I get sick.

Bottom line:  check out the magazine.  It's a worthy successor to Special Interest Autos, which was due for a revamp.  According to local car-friends and a big 'literature' dealer-friend in Richmond, VA, ALL Mopar is the new darling of collectibles.  I can't even find color catalogs for Dodge 'Chargers!'

I'd appreciate any 'musings' some of the rest of you have related to owning a car TOO beautiful and perfect to even drive!  Doesn't make sense to me!  Write 'privately' if more appropriate.

Thanks,

Robb Russo