Re: [FWDLK] Carpet

Ron,

Here is a link that shows the detail of the various styles. Thet also offer
the padding material. I have purchased from them in the past and have been
happt with the carpet.  Their mats did wear throught on my daily driver
faster that I thought they should but I admit being hard on them and they
price was right.
http://www.accmats.com/products/carpet_types/types.htm

This is a guess,  but I believe the loop was used as the material of choice
in american cars (except may high end luxury cars) until the late 70's mid
80's (I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong).
I prefer the loop carpet over cut pile. The cut pile seems to hold onto the
dirt and fine particles (like short hair) a lot harder and in my opinion is
harder to vacuum and sheds a lot more.
I had the choice when I changed carpet in my daily driver and went with the
"correct" cut pile and wish I had switched to the loop.
In the wife's  76 Vette I used loop (factory was cut pile i believe) and I
very much prefer the look, and feel of the loop in this car.

My 56 Dodge was loop carpeting I have still not found an exact replacement
carpet for that car.

The most common underlayment is a jute padding, but there area a lot of
materials that reduce heat and deaden sound, but they come with an
additional cost.  When I do the Dodge floor I will skip the Jute and go with
a material that I used in the corvette. It was a soft polyester type padding
with a layer of reflective material, like a foil, that reflected the heat.
I am happy with the results in that car.   I dont have the name of the
company I bought it from but will dig it out if you are interested.

Scott
1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer
2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab