Re: [FWDLK] Starting the Engine

Ron,
I would change the oil and filter just in case there is water from
condensation inside the pan.
I would not start a fresh rebuild without coolant. Id hold off until
everything could be connected properly because if it was rebuilt and there
is a new cam you will need to break in the cam and lifters the first time
you turn it over. This will require you to run the engine and follow propor
cam break in proceedures.  Usually keeping it at 1500-2000 rpm for 15-20
minutes.  Starting it and stopping may lead to a cam failure.

If it has been sitting I would make sure that there is still cam lube on the
cam lobes. This stuff has the consistency of an oily  light grease and may
no longer be coating the lobes well enough to ensure lubrication during the
initial startup. The problem is that you may not have access to the cam
lobes even if you pull the intake, i think on an LA bolck there are oval
openings in the block above the cam that would allow you to re apply the
lube with the cam installed.

If this presents a problem I would at least pull the distributor and prime
the oiling system before trying to start it just to make sure that you did
all you can to see that there is iol on the bearin surfaces and you are not
starting it "dry".

Scott
1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer
2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab