[FWDLK] Paint your Wagon

or, rather the trunk.

Does anyone know precisely how the under-side of the trunks were painted
(regardless whether in  "body-color", or that blue-grey L.A.-factory
shade) , concerning the
asphaltic sound-deadener?

The sound-deadener was installed prior to the 'sandwiching' of the upper
and under halves, and before the trunk was painted . Removing or
'exposing' the sheetmetal, 'behind' the deadener will reveal O.E.M.
unpainted steel.

The question, then, is : how(/why) did the factory (bother to) mask-off
the deadener, so that there is no (apparent) overspray on the deadener?

Horrie's deadener is in fine physical condition, but, over the years,
I've masked-off the trunk, to repaint the deadener (brownish-black
"bar-be-que" paint is a virtually-perfect color-match!), and, this year,
I masked-off the deadener, when I had him be repainted (for the second
time, since 1980).

Does anyone know of a source  for a  "reasonable-facsimile"  for the
sound-deadener
material?

Neil Vedder