Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 9:49 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] More Powerflite Problems

Well, the transmission shop that has been working on my '59 Coronet (326/Powerflite) is having a devil of a time getting the transmission to work as designed.  They can't get the buttons to cooperate.  Told me they currently have two reverse and one forward gear.  I told them (as many of you told me previously) that the shift cable is most likely the culprit, and that the adjustment is very slight, and they may need to get it on the rack and adjust it until they get it right.

Is there any other suggestions or does someone have a FSM page that outlines the adjustment?  I have a FSM for my 1964 Fury Torqueflite.  Is the adjustment process the same for the Powerflite '64 and Torqueflite '59 cables?

Any difference between the '58 air-cooled and the '59 water-cooled Powerflites?  The tranny housing they are working on is out of a '58 Coronet, since they said there was a lot of metal shavings (hard-parts, more than clutch material) when they pulled the pan on the '59, and that is the reason for rebuilding the '58.

Sorry for the rambling, but they have had the car for over a year, and I want it back before the snow flies.

LARRY in Akron, Ohio