[FWDLK] ball joint removal

Can any one give me an alternative to the dealer tool that is used
to remove the ball joints on a '60 model? The joint screws in and
out.? It has 4 flats about 1/8" tall and 1 7/8" apart. The dealer tool
is a big socket, but regular hex type will not fit.? I even tried a pipe
wrench (briefly).
On another note, while I'm working on the front end I'm removing
and painting stuff. The only part underneath the car with out rust
is the torsion bar. It's amazing when I wiped off the dirt and grease,
It looks almost new. You can tell from the drip marks that the part
was dip painted. It looks like the same finish that you see on old
woodworkers hand planes. Too bad that more parts weren't protected
this way.
Deane