[FWDLK] Manifoldly speaking...

JFG (just for grins), I opened my parts book, & the Good Book says that
the correct left side exhaust manifold for the venerable  325 c.i.
engine block for 1956- 1958 (non-D500) should have a P/N of 1634 445.

Tina's left side manifold has P/N 1634 446  which fits the 1956 - 1957
D500 .

There appear to be no less than 3 exhaust manifolds that will fit the 57
-58 RIGHT side
of the "325" engine block: 1532  891 (which 'originated' for the  1955
V/8) 1737 791 (which debuted in 57, & also fits 1958 blocks) , and  1671
128 (which fits only 1957 A/C  cars;  1854
990 apparently fits the 1958 A/C cars).

Interesting point:  I am aware that the exhaust manifold GASKETS , for
the "KDS" (standard 1967 V/8 block) are different from the 1957 (&
1956?) D500 , engine blocks.

I never stopped to consider WHY those gaskets would be
completely-different in appearance, & now Tina  has confirmed that the
engine blocks
ARE  actually different, because the exhaust manifolds do not
interchange, between KDS & D500 blocks.

So, went  back to the G.B. & there it/they was/were!  The 1956 and 1957
'regular' and  D500 engine blocks (go try to ORDER one ;    all FOUR
blocks) had different P/N's.

I had always believed that the 57 D500 was essentially a Hemi-head  and
'carb-jetting'
upgrade ; looks like the ENGINE, too, was 'better'!

Neil Vedder