Re: [FWDLK] Plymouth on the ROCKS

You should have written your letter in 1979, not 1999.

For the 1979 model year Plymouth offered only the Horizon and Volare for the
American market while Chrysler Canada also offered the Caravelle (a Diplomat
for Plymouth dealers).

For 1979 Chevrolet offered the Chevette, Monza, Citiation, Camaro, Corvette,
Malibu, Monte Carlo, and Impala/Caprice.  And Ford had the Pinto, Mustang,
Fairmont, Granada, LTD II, Thunderbird and full-size LTD.   How could
Plymouth compete?  It didn't.   Chevrolet built 2.7 million cars for the
1979 model year while Ford built 1.9 million.  And Plymouth?  382,112
(including Caravelle).  That same year Dodge built 413,169 cars and Chrysler
came with 349,450.  As I say, the rot surrounding Plymouth pre-dates the
merger by a couple of decades.

Plymouth went two years without a competitor for the Impala/LTD (1978 and
1979) thus losing what few buyers it had.  In 1977 the Gran Fury was offered
in 3 body styles and two series with model year production of 55,756 units.
When the Gran Fury returned for 1980 there was one body style in two series
and production came to 18,724.   The 1980's M body usually had production
just below 20,000 units and was not replaced when the M body was laid to
rest.  For Dodge the Diplomat was replaced by the Dynasty and then the
Intrepid.  But Plymouth was given nothing, instead having to live with
rebadged Dodges (Neon) or last minute decisions (Breeze).

If you go back and read the commentaries on Plymouth during the 1990's you
will find that Chrysler on more than one occassion was considering dropping
the Plymouth.   Thus the Neon was meant to be a Dodge with no Plymouth
version and the Breeze was introduced six months after the Stratus/Cirrus.
Chrysler made many declarations they were going to spend money on new
Plymouth models and more on advertising, but neither was carried out.

The pre-merger Chrysler's treatment of the Plymouth was a travisty,
especially given the need for sales to survive.  That it took 25 years of
neglect before someone finally pulled the plug on the Plymouth due to poor
sales (by the time of the merger Plymouth's sales were below Dodge and
Chrysler) shows just how strong the   Plymouth name was.  By the end there
was not much there any more.

As I say, the rot surrounding Plymouth pre-dates the merger by a couple of
decades.  It's tough to admit, but the decision to kill the Plymouth was the
result of  24 years of American inaction and bad marketing.  It would be
easy to blame an outsider, but you are just covering over the rot at
management level during the 1970's through 1990's..

I did not include the Voyager, by the way, as it is not classified as a car
and even its sales had fallen below the Caravan by the time of the merger.
And the Prowler, while an interesting vehicle in its own right, was never
considered a mainstream offering.  Just a neat idea to lure people through
the doors.

Bill
Vancouver, BC