Re: [FWDLK] Types of primer

Its not a primer but Amsoil has a product called “Rust Preventative”. What I have is a 16 oz plastic spray bottle. Picked it up about 5 years ago – 5 or 6 bucks.  Just spray it on metal and it leaves a rust preventing clear film.  A while back I did some welding on a camper frame. I intentionally left the welds bare and sprayed on the Amsoil to see if it actually worked. I did this in the spring of year and camper was outside in the weather all summer, and in the fall the welds were still rust free.  The following spring, though, rust was starting to appear.  So, everything considered,  I would say the stuff works well.  Description on bottle says “A highly effective aqueous rust and corrosion inhibitor that is 100% non-combustible.  Ideal for protecting metal and displacing moisture.”

From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave & Tracy
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 1:19 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Types of primer

What is the consensus on using a zinc primer on bare metal ? . I know that traditionally it should be etch primer filler primer, topcoat. However I need to paint some sheet steel on the new rear driverside quarter with out painting other coats etc. So I am looking for a type of primer that is over paintable at a latter date. could do with something that when dry is as hard as Iron, to give max protection over the winter..

Dave.