From: "David Homstad" <dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 2:45 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Who is going to save this one?

I won't claim to be an expert on 318s, but it is my understanding that the
common modern nickname for the early 318 is "wide block". The early 318 is
really an "A" series small block engine (277, 301, 303, 318, 326) used
from
1956 to 1967 (or 1966?). The heads were of the Poly design. This 318 was
replaced by the "LA" (Late A) series engines (273, 318, 340, 360) with
wedge
design heads. My guess is that the bare blocks are very close in width,
because they can interchange some major components such as cranks. The
early
heads were wider than the LA design, thus the "wide block" label was
invented after the narrower LA design was introduced.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500