Re: [FWDLK] Alternator conversion kits?

I've seen a '60 Pontiac at shows that was converted to an alternator
(physically) simply by bolting it in place of the generator.  It must work,
the car also has one of those hydraulic suspension setups in it... (although
something must not quite be right, every time I see it it's for sale and
seems like it has a different owner!).  They may have added a small
L-bracket to help support it, but the metal fab work was minor.

Anyhow, I would think that you could do this on the Dodge, perhaps adding a
sleeve (piece of small diameter pipe) to the lower bolt to position the
alternator.  I'd imagine you'll find aftermarket stuff setup for using a GM
alternator (some of them are internally regulated if I remember right)
rather than a Mopar, but it's probably just a matter of finding one with the
holes in close to the right place and the right size and depth pulleys.  The
Pontiac top generator bracket is just a single arm which if I remember right
has one bolt.  I'd have to dig out some photos I have here of a '59 Dodge
engine to see if you can tinker with the bracket, but I am thinking that if
the upper mount is not quite exactly the same, you'll be able to compensate
for it by moving the bracket a little.

I'd be tempted to use a '60s style with external reg in place of my old
voltage regulator; you could even go so far as to fit a small alternator
into a generator shell for a totally stock look.

Someone else will have to fill in on the wiring - I remember there is
something you need to re-route or change to prevent the no-shut-off
situation, but it escapes me now just exactly how that's done.

Next question:  Why over 100 amps?  Are you adding a lot of power options to
this car?  Some late 50s cars still only run 25 amps or so stock through the
voltage regulator - if you don't have power windows, power seats, super
power headlights, one of those super fancy stereos that you can open the
trunk and use the bass to push your car down the road, etc. you don't really
need a lot of amps, just enough to recharge your battery.  So a basic 75 or
85 is probably fine.

Bill K.