[FWDLK] Fly Wheel?

I was checking out my car's flywheel today.  Since it is apart from my engine (completely dismantled) I was trying to see how it fits.  I got it to stay on with 1 washer and 1 nut.  The other nuts are being blocked by the adapter plate.  If I remove the adapter plate to get to the other nuts, is there a good way to reinstall the adapter plate without scratching it?  How do you clean the adapter plate?  Is the adapter plate installed with it's natural finish or it is painted Mopar Silver?  If some of internal engine parts are found with surface rust can they be sandblasted?  If so, is it left alone or is there some special coating that should be sprayed on?

Thanks,
Joey
Dickinson, Texas
1957 Plymouth Savoy