Re: [FWDLK] seat belt question

You know, that was what I used to love about the '60 Pontiac I had.  I could
turn a corner to the right a little hard and bring whoever was in the seat
next to me, sliding right over...     It took a while to put enough of a
dent in the padding to keep me in place, though.

When I tore up a late 70's car, the belts went into the floor and were just
bolted into a threaded reciever maybe an inch deep, that was centered in a
rectangular metal piece maybe 3/16ths thick and welded to the floorpan.   I
would think a good big washer is just about as good, as long as the floor
where it's mounted can't pull up.   The '59 Olds I had had add-on belts and
the driver's side would pull the rear floorpan up about 3" - they should
have been mounted to the side of the pan instead of the bottom.

If you add shoulder belts in a Forward Look, as long as something threaded
is welded to the roof post, I'd think you'd be fine.   I'd worry more in
some of these cars about the rear frame giving out and roasting you when the
gas tank splits.  But the Chrysler and DeSoto share a stronger frame similar
to the Imperial, and the body-on-frame Imperial is like the ultimate
demolition derby car - to the point I've seen guys weld tops onto
convertibles to run them.   So it's just a matter of tying yourself down so
you or any part of you doesn't fly into the dash or out of the car.  Where
to put belts in a hardtop is another story, but early 70's GM seperate belts
might work as someone already suggested.  Not sure what Mopar belts look
like, I'd have to go look one over -

Bill K.