Re: [FWDLK] lugging an engine

At 09:49 AM 2/21/2005, David Gedraitis wrote:
While I'm aware that lugging an engine is bad and puts
it under a load, I'm asking why this is bad?

Lugging the engine at low rpms puts the crank bearings under a lot of extra load while at the same time the oil pump is turning slower, delivering less oil to cool those bearings.

 What does
this do that ctually hurts the engine? Does it
overheat?

The combustion chambers are putting out more heat, and at the same time the water pump will be turning slower, minimizing its ability to circulate coolant and cool the engine.

Wear out the clutch faster?

Nope.

I laboring for
an engine isn't good, but I also know it does happen
(think steep hills at high speed), so does anyone know
anything more definite? I don't see why low vacuum
would hurt, and while I know power isn't optimum,
that's not technically harmful, either....

Theoretically, the brake specific horsepower rating (pounds of fuel per horsepower per hour) would be more efficient under lower intake manifold vacuum, but in practice the lower vacuum signal will open the power valve in the carb, dumping more gas into the manifold.

Mike

~dave